Sunday, August 7, 2011

this question brings down the duck

Some people are atheists and others are avowed atheists. There are some, perhaps many, not willing to readily admit what they are. But we all leave tracks as we speak which tells the true story. What is the true story in this scene recalled from the past? Watching the psychology professor chalking a formula on the blackboard prompted a question, what does the zero mean? It is not a zero, it is an "O"! Oh I said. I think in logic they call this begging the question. Momentarily I asked, then what does the "O" stand for? Organism! Definitely ticked off now she was. Then I really ventured into the center of the battlefield. So? What Organism? Humanity! she exclaimed completely exasperated with me now. Remember this is a psychology class. I started catching the frustration building in the room myself and I retorted, then why don't you use the letter H? This was the question that brings down the duck. This was a very significant exchange and reflects two different views of humanity.  In one, individual humans are not mindless organisms and in the other there is a lack of respect for organisms, pick any fetus for instance.When one wants to take away a person's rights and respect you take away their humanity, their H and replace the H with an O that looks like a zer0. And that is the difference between the individual in the group and the group in the individual.  

No comments:

Post a Comment