Sunday, March 14, 2021

Question about the cross

Early on, I had a question about the cross, or perhaps should say I had a problem understanding why, if Jesus went to the cross, we did too. This idea, vouched for in the Bible, begs an explanation I've never seen forth coming or even discussed anywhere in clerical circles.

We are encouraged to pick up our cross and follow Him. First we are encouraged to become a Christian for the pure joy and rewards of eternal life. Then, somewhat surprisingly to me, we hear we are going to find it is not all so easy, once we are roped in, that there will be lots of suffering involved. In fact we are going to look forward now, not so much in great joy, but picking up a cross yet. How quickly and how badly can events turn?

Searching

So well now, which is it? Sounds like a typical bait and switch to me. Looked like rather not a few had a good case of Billy Graham envy. I found myself explaining BG was a slave of Christ doing what he was told. He was surely a profitable servant but he did not save, Jesus did. The Holy Spirit convicts, not Billy Graham. My view.

Some pastors were vocally opposed to Billy stealing their congregations. From the treasure of their heart their mouth spoke.

Where are we then? Some preachers seem more interested in leading people to Christ than getting them saved. I heard one particular stock sermon delivered twice in my lifetime, so far that is. First to children in the lower grades in a Christian high school. The second time to advanced elderly in a densely populated retirement church. 

Both sermons were identical in purpose which was to just generate an extreme emotional reaction. The first detailed an ungrateful son, the other forgiveness for a wayward daughter. No mention of Jesus or anything about choosing Jesus as one's savior. 

The ungrateful son racked up nearly 100% rededications in the lower grades. The 11th & 12th grades were asked to leave the chapel for study rooms while all this transpired. 

The telescope and the telepathic
I told our supervising teacher as we waited, that is not right. She put her forefinger to her lips and said audibly, shs shs, for the sake of the children. BangIt all finally hit me with full force. I had grown up and joined the adults! Hello hypocrisy!

The adults did not believe a word of any of it all. It was merely play church of pulpit talk at pulpit rock. In the Sunday School coloring book years I rebelled and was allowed to join the men behind the blue curtain of the choir. There I learned in my first class the stories in the Bible where not true, just the meaning was true.

Later learning about the sh sh and about to graduate from high school I was introduced into the adult world that not just Sainty Claus was for the children. I concluded it all was the entire ball of wax. Just one well booted Santy, pretty ga ga Easter-eggs and the hallow chocolate bunny. 

While this was most likely quite true, the premise that the pastor and elders (as adults) were on the inside with God Himself was my gross error by way of believing a logical fallacy, misplaced authority.

But the fallacy snuck in and harmonized with many other, more severe, events. I am convinced to this day that churches produce more fourteen year old atheists than even a devil can completely appreciate. In a church setting one's faith, if one has any, is severely strained under fire. 

Demons of the devil are not parading into the barrooms, they are marching up and down the corridors of churches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment