Monday, November 8, 2010

the same forever never changing

Prayer is my spirit talking. It is very private and often quite different from public prayer. Growing up I thought many public prayers were wonderful to behold and wished I could pray like that. The glittering generalities and pious platitudes flew back in forth in a beautifully soft firecracker display largely telling God what He knew already. Then there were those that started out talking to God but ended up giving a sermonette to the audience. How they were able to morph that God-like feat was enviable in the extreme. Then there were the humble pie people who overworked the word just until I felt we might as well go away and tell God to never mind. Now when I pray, privately or publicly, I try to remind God of what he said and thank him for the answer. But one thing I never do is give God an out and tell him it is ok if he changes his mind. A poor dancer, I avoid dodging lightning bolts like the dickens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment